Sunday, June 29, 2008

A-camping we will go!

We suddenly became very brave and went camping in the Uinta Mountains with our kids and me 7 months prego. (Luckily we were able to somehow convince Chad's loving parents to come camp with us in misery.) We had yummy steak and hot dogs to eat (actually I accidentally bought cheese dogs - no wonder they were so much cheaper!) and of course, s'mores for dessert.
Dale (Chad's dad) was so nice and set up a little bathroom for us - a tent with a port-a-potty in it. Drew thought it was so cool. He had to go to the bathroom at least five times in just a few hours. Not sure why he was so fascinated with it. Must be a boy thing!
Jeremy was so content just sitting on this beach chair. I'll have to remember to buy one of those for the next time we go camping. He sat on there and was entertained for at least an hour or 2.
Alli and Drew were pretty good up until they were supposed to fall asleep. It was a little chilly up there at night time still, so Alli and Drew slept in the back of the Yukon. We set up their little air ready bed sleeping bags and put on some extra blankets. They were really excited to go to sleep actually... a little too excited. So when they finally got tired and stopped playing in there with the flashlights, it was already dark outside. Then, of course they started getting scared... and calling for us periodically through the night.

We slept in a tent with Chad's parents and Jeremy in the portacrib. We put Jeremy to sleep early and slept for a while without any problems. Then he lost his pacifier and it all went downhill from there. I was sleeping in a "mummy" sleeping bag (gets smaller and smaller towards the bottom). Being pregnant, this probably wasn't the best choice considering I have to sleep on my side the whole time and i couldn't really zip it up all the way, cause there was something huge near the middle section of my body that was hindering that. So therefore, when Jeremy got really upset and wanted to cuddle with me, you probably would have paid a lot of money to watch us both try to fit into the mummy bag comfortably without suffocating. Needless to say it didn't really happen. So this is about the time (Jeremy's screaming and Chad trying to get Alli and Drew to sleep) that Chad's parents were probably saying, "Oh! now I remember why we shouldn't have come camping." Also, I forgot to mention that Chad thought he heard a bear in the middle of the night and so I was totally freaked out (cause it totally sounded like something was walking around our camp). When I was sleeping I was having nightmares of a bear eating my babies.

We somehow all survived that night and vowed never to do it again anytime soon. The great thing was, when we "woke up," Dale had fixed us the best breakfast I have ever had. We had pancakes, sausage, bacon, hash browns and scrambled eggs all cooked on a yummy seasoned griddle! It was so good - and I was expecting cereal and milk!

No comments: