Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I'm overwhelmed with gratitude...I'm so thankful I found you.

Today I read the talk given by our prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley called "Slow To Anger" during the priesthood session of General Conference. It has made me take a closer look at my life and things that I have gotten angry at. Here are some quotes from the talk that really help me to realize there is no room for anger in our lives:

  • "Anger is the mother of a whole brood of evil actions"
  • "Divorce too often is the bitter fruit of anger...little inconsequential activities lead to criticism. Little flaws are magnified into great torrents of faultfinding"
  • "So many of us make a great fuss of matters of small consequence. We are so easily offended. Happy is the man who can brush aside the offending remarks of another and go on his way."
  • "I plead with you to control your tempers, to put a smile upon your faces, which will erase anger; speak out with words of love and peace, appreciation, and respect. If you will do this, your lives will be without regret. Your marriages and family relationships will be preserved. You will be much happier. You will do greater good. You will feel a sense of peace that will be wonderful."

This has given me the motivation I need to let the little things in life slide and to focus on the things that matter and that are eternal. I know that Gordon B. Hinckley is a true prophet of God. I know that he is led by a Heavenly Father who loves us. I am so grateful for my family and what the gospel provides for me and my family.

Another great talk to read by Pres. Hinckley is "Forget Yourself." It talks about dealing with self pity and immersing yourself in service of others:

  • "Generally speaking, the most miserable people I know are those obsessed with themselves; the happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others"
  • "If you are complaining about life, it is because you are thinking only of yourself."
  • "The most effective medicine for the sickness of self-pity is to lose oneself in the service of others.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I glad you finally have learned this lesson to control your anger. It really is a serious problem, Rach, especially now that you have kids. I'm glad that President Hinkley was finally able to get through to you since those Anger Management Classes didn't work.

Unknown said...

Ok Melissa, for future "online" etiquette reference, you usually follow up a comment like this in cyberspace with a "j/k" just to ensure the readers and author know it is a joke.