Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Cats and Rats and Elephants, but as sure as you're born, you're never gonna see a Unicorn.

Allison said at dinner Sunday: "Mom, is this chicken from the zoo or the grocery store?" then she continued to ask questions like, "Mom, do we eat little chicks?" and "So we let them grow up big and then eat mommy ones?" Needless to say, I lost my appetite.

This is a big improvement for her considering this was a girl that just last year, while watching Planet Earth episodes, said crying, "No Dad! We don't we don't eat animals! WE EAT MEAT!" and we responded with, "OK, Alli... whatever you say sweetie." Poor Thing. So at least she has come to grips with the fact that we do eat some animals and that in nature, animals have to kill other animals. I never ever thought I would ever even think about becoming a vegetarian until Alli started asking her questions. Luckily she doesn't ask them very often.

I strongly suggest not watching Planet Earth with your kids unless they love to watch animals die. This one clip of the Arctic Fox and the Snow Geese Goslings makes me cry every time I watch it. The poor parents don't realize what has happened to their babies before it is too late. Nature is just mean sometimes. WARNING: This video may prove to be unsuitable for children. Adult supervision required. lol


Planet Earth-Arctic Fox - Watch a funny movie here

1 comment:

M said...

the baby chicks are precious. but there are thousands of them. and in the end, we learn that the fox is just trying to feed its own adorable little cubs. what could be wrong with that?

as a side note, i always seem to cheer for the predator. i wonder why.