helped the kids remember what to do if they catch on fire.
Reminds me of time when I caught on fire... ok, i guess I'll just tell the story... It was Halloween night and I was around 8 years old. I was dressed in my witch costume and my mom lit a few votive candles to put inside the jack-o-lanterns that we carved and she put them on the counter. I was totally oblivious and I brushed my arm right next to the candle and it started on fire. I had no idea I was on fire and my sister Emily said, "I smell something burning!" and she turned and said, "Rachel, your on fire!" My mom was talking on the phone at the time and I stopped! I dropped! and I started rolling! The only thing that they don't really mention is to make sure that when you roll, you roll over onto the flaming part of your body. I was just half rolling, flipping my hair around, and freaking out. My mom came over while still talking on the phone, and with a damp cloth calmly put the fire out. Some of the costume melted onto my skin and caused a big blister to bubble up on my arm... but I still was able to go trick-or-treating, so don't worry. My costume just wasn't long sleeve on the left side anymore. My Mom said if she hadn't put the fire out, all my hair would have been burnt off. The moral of the story: Teach your kids to actually roll all the way over onto the flaming part of your body. Also, you might not want to buy flammable costumes.









2 comments:
see...my super-sensitive-sense-of-smell comes in handy sometimes.
I can totally see you rolling part way. Thanks for the chuckle today :-)
Post a Comment